In a new series Patch talks with local business owners about their trade, tips for consumers and specific issues that come into making product and services choices.
Company Name: Decks Unlimited
Owner: John Atkinson
How long in business: Since 1982
Service Area: Bayport and Huntington
1. What are two things homeowners should know about when putting on a new deck?
Will it pass local code ie.; joist & beam spans, footing depth, tecos, lag bolts baulister spacing etc.
2. What's the biggest decision in choosing a deck?
Design and functionality are most important but you have to consider costs and materials-wood versus composite, maintenance and warranty.
3. Do you specialize in any particular deck building?
We do multilevels, all sizes, all shapes and all materials. More composites these days than wood. It really depends on the customer's needs, wants and "pocketbook."
4. Is this a good time to put on a deck or should people wait for the spring at this point?
Now is probably the best time as this time of year is not as busy or hot so your crew and contractor are more relaxed and work in a less stressful enviornment. Better for everyone.
5. What should homeowners know about deck maintenance?
The issues about staining, preserving, powerwashing, washing. The new vinyl wrapped composites and cellular PVCs have the lowest maintenance and over time will pay for the initial higher cost.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.